[c-nsp] VOIP/QOS

Per Carlson lists at ip4all.net
Mon Mar 13 07:55:40 EST 2006

On Mon Mar 13 15:59:40 2006 -0500, Paul Stewart wrote:

> Do I have to put a bandwidth allocation in place if I'm not worried (in
> this particular case) about congestion?

The priority command ensures that VoIP traffic is prioritized in
the *queueing*. So even if you are not worried about congestion,
sending the VoIP packets as soon as possible is a Good Thing.

> policy-map SIP
>   class VOIP
>     set ip precedence 2

You are absolutely free to choose whatever precedence for voice
traffic, but it is recommended (various Cisco guides and IETF
documents) to use the following "classes":

Voice traffic: precedence 5 (or DSCP EF)
Voice signalling: precedence 3 (or DSCP AF31)

Choosing a BCP approach will probably help you the day you need to
communicate with some other party (partner and/or service
provider).

--
 \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign   | Per Carlson