[c-nsp] 7500 slot configuration

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Mar 14 10:55:19 EST 2006

David Coulson wrote:
> 	I've got a couple of 7507s here, which are going to end up with
> identical configs.
>
> 2x RSP4
> 2x GEIPs
> 1x VIP2-50 w/ PA-MC-T3
> 1x VIP2-50 w/ PA-2T3 + PA-FE
> 1x VIP2-50 w/ nothing
>
> My question is this. I know the 7500s have a bus on slots 0+1 and slots
> 4+5+6, however I'm trying to figure out if there is a performance hit
> going between the two buses. My first thought is to put all the active
> hardware in 4+5+6 (GEIP+MC-T3+2T3/FE), so it's on the same bus, and the
> backup stuff in 0(GEIP), however I'm unsure if this is the best way to
> go.

Don't do a VIP with nothing, it's unsupported and may hang/crash your
system.  Split the FE onto the last VIP, or just leave it in a bag.

As far as bus split, I dunno.  I've always been in a position where I
was doing equal-cost uplinks, and didn't have a way to tweak the
forwarding to say "use the nearest card".  :(

pt