[c-nsp] BGP and VRFs

Alex Foster afoster at gammatelecom.com
Wed Mar 15 13:24:52 EST 2006

All,

I am trying to work through a configuration that will allow me to run
BGP to a service providers network.  I need to run the BGP and iBGP
processes within a VRF, so that they do not become part of the default
routing table - this is for a good reason.  This configuration is not
for an uplink to an ISP but a bespoke project.

I have two routers running iBGP between them (OSPF) and both have
uplinks (paths) to the service providers network (same AS), I have some
policies in place to prefer one path over the other and advertise a
couple of /32s to the provider.

What I am not clear on is where the iBGP neighbor statement should
appear.  Should it appear as part of the global BGP config. or under the
address-family ipv4 vrf config.

Here is a sample of the configuration from one of the routers (the
preferred path).  The iBGP neighbor configuration is missing.

ip routing
!
ip vrf test
 description test network
 rd 2222:1
!
!
interface Loopback0
 ip vrf forwarding test
 ip address 88.215.63.217 255.255.255.255
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/32
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 410
 switchport mode trunk
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/52
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 226
 switchport mode trunk
!
interface Vlan226
 ip vrf forwarding test
 description to Service Provider
 ip address 88.215.63.233 255.255.255.252
!
interface Vlan410
 ip vrf forwarding test
 description to Other Router
 ip address 88.215.63.221 255.255.255.252
!
router ospf 1 vrf test
 log-adjacency-changes
 network 88.215.63.217 0.0.0.0 area 0.0.0.0
 network 88.215.63.220 0.0.0.3 area 0.0.0.0
!
router bgp 2222
 no synchronization
 bgp router-id 88.215.63.217
 bgp log-neighbor-changes
 no auto-summary
 !
 address-family ipv4 vrf test
 neighbor 88.215.63.234 remote-as 1111
 neighbor 88.215.63.234 password test
 neighbor 88.215.63.234 version 4
 neighbor 88.215.63.234 activate
 neighbor 88.215.63.234 remove-private-as
 neighbor 88.215.63.234 route-map some in
 neighbor 88.215.63.234 route-map more out
 no auto-summary
 no synchronization
 bgp dampening
 exit-address-family
!
ip as-path access-list 10 permit ^1111$
!
access-list 1 permit 88.215.63.249
access-list 1 permit 88.215.63.250
route-map some permit 10
 match as-path 10
 set local-preference 110
!
route-map more permit 10
 match ip address 1
 set metric 100

Many thanks in advance

Alex Foster

The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may be subject to legal professional privilege. It is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, or person responsible for delivering this information to the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately. Unless you are the intended recipient or his/her representative you are prohibited from, and therefore must not, read, copy, distribute, use or retain this message or any part of it. The views expressed in this e-mail may not represent those of Gamma Telecom.

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController