[c-nsp] BGP and VRFs[Scanned]

Bruce Pinsky bep at whack.org
Wed Mar 15 16:06:28 EST 2006

Alex Foster wrote:

> Bruce Pinsky wrote:
>> Here do you mean you are running an IGP and that IGP is OSPF and you
> are
>> going to be using iBGP in addition to eBGP?
>
> Yes - I tend to (albeit wrongly) group iBGP with IGP, because ordinarily
> one works with the other (unless other policies are in place).

Sorry to pick on a nit, but sometimes precision in terminology can make all
the difference.

>> If you want the BGP session and the associated routes in the VRF
> context,
>> they must be in the IPv4 VRF address family context.
>
> So in my particular scenario the config. would be:
>
> router bgp 2222
>  no synchronization
>  bgp router-id 88.215.63.217
>  bgp log-neighbor-changes
>  no auto-summary
>  !
>  address-family ipv4 vrf test
>  neighbor 88.215.63.234 remote-as 1111
>  neighbor 88.215.63.234 password test
>  neighbor 88.215.63.234 version 4
>  neighbor 88.215.63.234 activate
>  neighbor 88.215.63.234 remove-private-as
>  neighbor 88.215.63.234 route-map some in
>  neighbor 88.215.63.234 route-map more out
>  neighbor 88.215.63.218 remote-as 2222
>  neighbor 88.215.63.218 version 4
>  neighbor 88.215.63.218 activate
>  neighbor 88.215.63.218 description other_router
>  neighbor 88.215.63.218 update-source Loopback0
>  neighbor 88.215.63.218 next-hop-self
>  neighbor 88.215.63.218 password test
>  no auto-summary
>  no synchronization
>  bgp dampening
>  exit-address-family

Yes, this looks good.  Both of your session are in the VRF context and the
routes learned from those session are imported into the VRF context.  Once
the sessions are active, you should see nothing when doing a "sh ip bgp"
and "sh ip bgp sum", but "sh ip bgp v v test" and "sh ip bgp v v test sum"
should show you both sessions and all routes in the VRF.

Also remember to look at your routing table in VRF context as well by
adding VRF context as in "sh ip route vrf test".

- --
=========
bep