[c-nsp] [**** SPAM **** ] - Re: Filtering /24s - Found word(s) anal anal in the Text body

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Mar 15 21:20:19 EST 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Scott Granados wrote:

> As mentioned though, if I were you I'd be orderingup some rsp4's from
> ebay or from other sources and letting the /24's back in.

Well, as I replied, we are running dual RSP-4s in each router. However,
when you run RSP-4, DCEF, Bridge Groups, Vlan Tagging and HSRP, it gets
really really tight. At one point, we had an alloc failure because the
router needed 64k and couldn't get it! Our only option at that point was
to reduce the total number of routes we're dealing with.... or replace the
Cisco w/ something beefier...

I mean.. this just ticks me off!

Mar 15 15:43:37: %SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of 65536 bytes
failed from 0x40458EB0, alignment 8
Pool: Processor  Free: 6697392  Cause: Memory fragmentation
Alternate Pool: None  Free: 0  Cause: No Alternate pool

Sounds silly, but I believe much of these types of errors could be
mitigated by more aggressive memory defragmentation techniques, but I
doubt that Cisco is going to pay much more attention to the RSP-4 based
IOS versions. I think we're finally getting pushed to the wall here, and
we'll need to consider alternative options, because RSP-16s aren't
reasonable options given that we'd need 4 of them, and it would cost the
better part of someone's salary to get them!

Are there commands deep deep deep within the kung-fu of IOS that will
allow you to tune memory parameters to make it a bit more aggressive?
Other memory optimization techniques that I should be studying? I'm all
ears...

                             KP-216-121-ST