[c-nsp] DS3 Y-Cable

Dave Temkin dave at ordinaryworld.com
Wed Mar 15 22:04:13 EST 2006

The interfaces would definitely have to be in shutdown mode for this to
work.

I've seen instances where even when they're in shutdown they still send
clock on the signal, so in reality you really need to have the router
powered off while connected like this.

So, basically, if you'd like to keep the box powered off except in a DR
scenario, this will work... But if you want to keep it powered on and up,
this is a bad idea.

As far as redundancy otherwise, you'd have to look into an external box
to do automated switching in the event of LOS.
I know they're made for T1's but not sure if they're made for DS-3's...
One thing you have to keep in mind is that you're adding another point of
failure and you have to weigh the pros and cons..

-Dave