[c-nsp] 6500/Supervisor SUP32 as Edge router

Peter Salanki peter.salanki at bahnhof.net
Sun Mar 26 17:58:59 EST 2006

Robert,

The 6500 platform could fill your needs, but there are some caveats,

1) The sup32/sup720 will only do ingress/egress policing, no shaping
and no hierarchical QoS (you need the expensive SIP linecards for that)
2) You will not be able to do uRPF on a SUP32-3B if you want a full
DFZ in the router. You will need a SUP720-3BXL (or a possible future
SUP32-3BXL) to be able to uRPF with full table.
3) Just as a reminder, vlan ids are shared over the entire switch. So
if you assign a subinterface with a vlan tag, that vlan id can't be
used on any other subinterface/SVI. (this does not apply for the SIP
modules)

OSPF, BGP and ACLs are no problems.

I would prefer the 6500 over the 7304 if you don't need any fancy
functions that the PXF gives you, as you get more throughput/$ with
the 6500.

/Peter Salanki
Chief Network Engineer
Bahnhof AB (AS8473)