[c-nsp] 12.2(18)SXF3 vs. 12.1E

John Neiberger John.Neiberger at efirstbank.com
Mon Mar 27 13:22:22 EST 2006

>	12.1E has been "feature dead" for quite some time (years i
think)
>and only gets bugfixes.  Obviously moving to the latest
feature+bugfix
>software will be a risk, but likely a worthwhile one.
>
>	here's why:
>
>	1) the SX* feature set will provide you ability to do
>a lot more things (eg: ipv6, etc..)
>	2) new hardware will become available to you that is not
>supported in 12.1E.
>	3) keeping at least one box in production/lab close to what
>the current leading edge of things with any vendor provides you the
>ability to sanity check anything crazy that comes out of them.
>	it also means if you encounter a case (new hardware or
>software feature) that you need to deploy faster than what you can
test
>you are not jumping in entirely in foreign soil.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that CCO Software Center says
that the minimum flash requirement is 128 MB but the image I'm looking
at is only about 32 MB. Why is the minimum requirement so much higher
than the size of the image? This is especially strange since the Sup2
can't have more than 64MB of flash on a card.

My plan is to recommend purchasing a 64 MB flash card for each
supervisor module. I can't abide by the minimum requirement because no
one makes 128 MB flash for a Sup2.

John