[c-nsp] Fiber GBIC Question

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Mon Mar 27 15:52:04 EST 2006

> We have a pair of 2950's that are going to be connected over single-mode
> fiber shortly...  Single mode is the only option for us.
>
> The distance is going to be only about 200 feet roughly (carrier-hotel)
> and the only GBIC that supports a really short distance seems to be
> multi-mode.  If I use a WS-G5486 they are rated at 6.2 miles but that
> seems to be the shortest single mode option... Do I need to put
> attenuators in place then?

Sounds like you're thinking about gig LX. Those are usually fine without
attenuators. You usually only need the attenuators when you're using
either the really long-reach 1310nm optics, or the 1550nm optics (where
it's really of concern). gigE SX and LX are pretty forgiving and also not
very demanding so you should be fine just patching them right together.

> Just wondering as this seems to be common in carrier-hotels where single
> mode is only option sometimes.....

All the places I've worked seem to be fine with multimode or singlemode,
and they just ask which you want when you order up a cross connect.

     -Bill