[c-nsp] ip multicast rate-limit

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Tue Mar 28 15:25:55 EST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Tim Stevenson wrote:

> >b) On:
> ><http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_command_reference_book09186a008042def5.html>
> >the left hand menu shows a link for "IP Multicast Commands: ip multicast
> >rate-limit through ip urd", which is a mistake and should be 'route-limit'
> >to 'urd'.
>
> No idea on this one - you point to a 12.4 IOS doc, which of course is
> not supported on 6500.

The above comment has nothing to do with 6500/7600 or IOS version.  It is
pointing out a documentation error with no feedback button on that page.
Just review the left hand links.  The 5th link from the top which states
"IP Multicast Commands: ip multicast rate-limit through ip urd" is
incorrect and should state "IP Multicast Commands: ip multicast
route-limit through ip urd"

> >c) On:
> ><http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps368/products_command_reference_chapter09186a0080172751.html>
> >it lists the command for 12.2SX as being "mls ip multicast rate-limit" yet
> >the link to the actual page shows the command as being now "mls rate-limit
> >multicast ipv4..."  Looks like someone has been playing fast and loose with
> >the CLI syntax and changing their minds every few months :-)
>
> Yes, this syntax was changed to accomodate IPv6 multicast when it was
> added. This command is TOTALLY different from any of the above, this
> configures the various h/w rate limiters for the RP CPU, meaning it
> throttles back multicast packets of various types that are being
> punted to the RP for whatever reason.

I filled out the feedback one on this page since it too has documentation
errors.

> Agree that often the docs are misleading, incomplete, or in some
> cases wrong. We correct the docs if this appears to be the case. If
> you find an error, there is a feedback button on virtually every
> cisco.com page, in my experience this works in most cases. For 6500
> stuff, I know the writers personally & can ask them to change stuff.
> What exactly would you suggest be changed per the above?

See one comment above with no feedback box.

> Tim

-Hank