[c-nsp] SXF4 (modular)

Martin Winter mwinter at cisco.com
Tue Mar 28 18:32:19 EST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Church, Chuck wrote:
> Oh, I see now.   So this one big file contains most of the base stuff
> you need, and updates to a particular .proc should be available as a
> separate download?

Yes. It's not the pick and choose model. You get the same packaging for
the features (ie ip base, ip services, advanced enterprise, etc) like in
the non-modular IOS.
The "modular" means that parts of the image can be replaced without
re-linking the image. This allows to publish patches which can be loaded
which don't require to replace the whole image (which means that you
should know what's impacted and reduce your testing time) and in most
cases without reloading the router.

- Martin

>  That makes sense.  Last night I tried opening up the
> .bin as if it was a .mz or .tar IOS file, didn't have any luck.  Must be
> a new packaging scheme.
>

> Chuck
>

>> 	You actually need to install (unpackage) the image to get full
>> modular support (ge: imagine patching the next PSIRT issue instead
>> of a reload)
>
>> 	- jared
[...]