[c-nsp] ip multicast rate-limit

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
Wed Mar 29 03:46:54 EST 2006

Yeah, gotta agree with Hank here. I mean, why should we have to know
there's different show commands for the
stats collected by the RP/SP/whatever? Tagging them with an 'H' or
allowing decent 'summary' stuff would
seem like a good idea, rather than expecting users to have to accomodate
the whims of hardware designers.

Internet
hank at efes.iucc.ac.il

Sent by: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
28/03/2006 21:35

tstevens
cc
cisco-nsp
Subject
Re: [c-nsp] ip multicast rate-limit

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Tim Stevenson wrote:

> >Couldn't Cisco put all multicast limiters in one spot in the CLI?
>
> This is my job security... :\  But seriously, I am not sure I agree
> that all RLs of any kind should drop under one CLI chain. Here we are
> talking about IGMP software state, hardware rate limiters, and
> control plane RLing. Shouldn't these fall into their appropriate chains?

Didn't want to mix my reply since this is a totally different thread.

My answer is no.  The end user is not someone who may know or care to know
what processor, hardware, software, firmware, vaporware, SUP,
RSP, SP/RP, is running.  That level changes every 2-4 years - both for
Cisco and for the end user.  What Cisco should be doing is "shielding" the
user from having to know the intricate details of those hardware changes,
and allowing the network manager to manage their network via standardized
rate limiters for multicast, igmp, etc.  As I change my hardware or even
my IOS version, the CLI commands should remain the same and Cisco should
be translating those CLI commands internally to something that the
hardware understands.  That is not to say to not add new commands but the
CLI tree should be properly *thought* out from the start and not changed
every 2-3 years as some new hardware platform becomes available.

-Hank

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority