[c-nsp] Extracting VLAN from brige-group's BVI

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Mar 29 16:18:09 EST 2006

Everton da Silva Marques wrote:

> Please consider a 1721 router bridging Ethernet
> VLAN frames across its serial link:
>
>   !
>   ! 1721 - Router1
>   !
>   interface Serial0
>    bridge-group 1
>   interface FastEthernet0
>    bridge-group 1
>   interface BVI 1
>    ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
>
> A couple of VLANs is carried over the bridge.
>
> As shown above, BVI1 is logically attached to the
> "untagged" VLAN. Is there a way to attach the BVI
> to a tagged VLAN instead? The purpose is to move
> the management of the 1721 router (at 10.0.0.1) to
> VLAN id=10.
>
> I was expecting to be able to configure something
> like this:
>
>   interface BVI 1
>    encapsulation dot1q 10
>    ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
>
> But the syntax is invalid.
>
> Please advise.

I haven't labbed this, but maybe:

!
! 1721 - Router1
!

interface Serial0
  bridge-group 1
interface FastEthernet0
  bridge-group 1
interface BVI 1
  no ip address

interface FastEthernet0.10
  encapsulation dot1q 10
  ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

Alternatively, if you have access to the other end of the serial link,
I have used frame-relay encapsulation, enable frame-relay switching on
one end of the link.   Then map VLANs to DLCIs as needed.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323