[c-nsp] Extreme vs. Cisco

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Thu Mar 30 15:59:50 EST 2006

You do realise that you're comparing technology from 1999 with
technology
from 2004-2005 somewhere? To compare the BD6808 you have to compare it
Sup1 and Sup2, not Sup720.

If you start to compare newer products, you end up with something like
this:

Summit 200 = 2950, but the 200 has L3 forwarding
Summit X450 = Something in between 4948 and 3750
BD 8800 = 4500, but the 8800 has a fabric for 4*10GE per slot
BD 10808/12000 = 7600 with Sup720, but the Sup720 has more mature MPLS
and
optional larger forwarding tables.

The BD6808 was released in 1999 or so, but has had some technology
refresh. We have used linecards and MSMs from 2004-2005 and they can
handle ISP L3 traffic if you know what you're doing (not run full table
and most traffic is routed via default-route).

You just have to realise that you have to know as much about Extreme as
you know about Cisco to make it work properly. I sometimes think people
know a lot about Cisco and very little about Extreme and then they are
upset when it doesn't work like they expect.

Personally I think I know about as much about Extreme and I do Cisco and

each have their strengths and weaknesses, you just have to realise what
is
good at doing what. Personally I think both cisco and extreme has
dropped
the ball in the metro ethernet area and there are other market leaders
when it comes to that.

--

	I think you might be missing the point which is that
historically extreme equipment performs nowhere near its stated

-Drew