[c-nsp] Extreme vs. Cisco

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Fri Mar 31 09:30:44 EST 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Drew Weaver wrote:

> 	I think you might be missing the point which is that
historically
> extreme equipment performs nowhere near its stated performance
> limitations. So whatever the stated performance was at the time that
we
> bought a 6808 for $175,000 it wasn't able to meet that performance.
> Whereas we have seen no difficulties in getting Cisco gear to do what
it
> is stated it can do without really messing with it in any way.

This is not my experience. What part of the stated performance doesn't
the
6808 meet?

---

	Well when we purchased the 6808s, Extreme claimed they would
handle millions of packets per second in Layer 3. I've been able to push
"MAYBE" 30000 - 50000 before I see what I consider meltdown; and at this
point the FIB is at the point that the extreme engineers describe as
'full'.

	I realize you can change the prefix length, and this and that;
but why should you have to? That's the real point. I do use quite a few
of the Layer2 summits just to bridge traffic (price point!) and
occasionally I may use a 24e3 if price is a concern and they're solid as
expected. So kudos for that, but to that end I never logged into them or
anything I just took them out of the box and plugged Cat5 and power
cables into them.

Thanks,
-Drew