[c-nsp] Extreme vs. Cisco

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Mar 31 11:00:18 EST 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Drew Weaver wrote:

> 	Well when we purchased the 6808s, Extreme claimed they would
> handle millions of packets per second in Layer 3. I've been able to push
> "MAYBE" 30000 - 50000 before I see what I consider meltdown; and at this
> point the FIB is at the point that the extreme engineers describe as
> 'full'.

If you throw random traffic at it it will die, just like any 5500 with RSM
or 6500 SUP1/MSFC will, unless you do the ip-subnet routing optimization
you're talking about but unwilling to configure. Basically what you're
stating is not a pps issue, it's a flow issue (flow=destination issue).

We have a bunch of BDs running ip-subnet-routing enabled and
ICMP-in-hardware linecards/MSM and it'll do gigs of internet traffic
without any cpu load to talk about.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se