[c-nsp] OIR Best Practices in Service Provider Networks

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon May 1 05:02:47 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 03:24:43PM -0700, Chris Costa wrote:
> I found some information on the nsp list about 6500 series OIR
> experiences:
> http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2005-April/019329.html
>
> This information, along with our own successful OIR experiences will
> allow us to move this process on this platform to a "non-interruptive"
> maintenance window.  I'd like to know what experiences others have had
> w/ 6500 OIR, and also what are some of the "best practices" followed by
> Service Provider networks in supporting OIR across their network.

So far, we have never had *any* issues with OIR on catalyst 5500 or 6500
platforms.

Still, we do all OIRs in nightly maintenance windows announced as long in
advance as possible - because one never knows what *might* happen.

> Are you using vendor defined specifications to identify whether this
> function is or is not service impacting, or do you baseline a certain
> number of OIR instances during "interruptive" maintenance windows
> before claiming this is non-impacting?

We base this on experience - vendors always claim that "OIR" doesn't stand
for "Online Insertion and Reboot"...  on the 7500, we've had lots of
problems with OIR (for example).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de