[c-nsp] ASA shun 'bug' acknowledged

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Thu May 4 11:14:39 EDT 2006

Not exactly.  From the command reference http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/multisec/asa_sw/v_70/cref_txt/s.htm#wp1138764:

>> The shun command allows you to apply a blocking function to the
>> interface receiving the attack. Packets containing the IP source
>> address of the attacking host are dropped and logged until the
>> blocking function is removed manually or by the Cisco IPS master
>> module. No traffic from the IP source address is allowed to traverse
>> the security appliance.

Note the last sentence.

This *was* the behavior of the shun command prior to 7.x on a PIX.  Our previous 515E/6.x had no problems, the new ASA/7.x does.  We have relied on this feature for bot mitigation, executing a shun on the bot C&C IP would stop communications between all infected hosts and the C&C server.  But not now.

Jeff