[c-nsp] WS-X5410 issue

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Fri May 5 18:11:22 EDT 2006

Which slot are you installing it in? Assume you mean the 13-slot when
you say 5500. Only slots 1-5 have all 3 buses.

The backplane bandwidth on this module varies depending on how many
buses the module touches. It can touch 1 or 3 of the buses. So if in
slot 6+ then only 1G of b/w is available into the rest of the switch.
This module is basically a 12-port cat 4000 switch on a card, with 9
ports on the front panel & (up to) 3 toward the backplane. It's
really designed for highest perf when doing local switching on the
front panel ports.

Note that there is no 1-to-1 mapping of front panel ports to
backplane ports. If there is only one bus connection, then all 9
front panel ports reach the rest of the switch through a 1G pipe; if
there are 3 bus connections, then traffic is split over the 3 links to the b/p.

Tim

At 02:12 PM 5/5/2006, Corneliu Tanasa remarked:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759