[c-nsp] VTP Design Decisions

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Sat May 6 00:31:45 EDT 2006

On 06/05/2006, at 3:42 AM, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

> Indeed. Some of us have been thoroughly burned by using VTP in a
> setting
> where it was not appropriate. As a general rule, I would *not* consider
> VTP in a provider setting, but *might* consider using it in an
> enterprise
> setting.

Couldn't agree more.  It's still surprises me that you can't turn it
off in IOS.  CatOS has always had "set vtp mode off" but the best we
get in IOS is transparent mode.  If we could turn it off on our root
bridges then we could limit the impact of anything that comes up as a
VTP server as the root bridges wouldn't even forward the VTP packets.

David