[c-nsp] Problems sub-interface Catalyst 6500

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists lists at hojmark.org
Sun May 7 16:49:04 EDT 2006

>> "Sub interface features - phase 1" was a new feature in SXE.
>> See http://tinyurl.com/3nljv. Previously, sub interfaces were
>> only supported with MPLS.

> 	Asbjorn, as you appear to be walking reference for
> features, do you perhaps know what does "phase 1" mean?

He, I asked that myself, but couldn't get a clear answer.

I guess it simply means that the current list is all they've
currently dev-tested (i.e. they are well aware that it's not a
complete list), and if you missing a feature there, then that
feature is Phase 2 (or later).

> Does it mean that we may even see "real" subinterface support
> (in a sense what original poster in this thread asked)?

You mean with overlapping 802.1Q VLAN numbers? I was told that
will never happen with the LAN interfaces because of hardware
constrains. (You can do that on the WAN interfaces, as Steinar
commented).

I would have thought it could be implemented using an internal
VLAN translation (translating the interface-significant number
to an internal VLAN), but I guess there's something preventing
that. (Maybe just the fact that not all interfaces can do VLAN
translation). Maybe Tim can comment.

-A