[c-nsp] dcef disabled on VIP 2-40 Slot !!!

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed May 10 14:41:44 EDT 2006

David Freedman wrote:
>> The VIP4 is definitely a better card, but 128M VIP DRAM is plenty fine
>> for full tables for a while:
>

> This is entriely dependant on :
>
> a) how many full tables you see

No.  The VIP only gets the FIB, not the RIB and definitely not the Adj-RIB.

> b) how many CEF entries for internet addresses you are going to populate
> the dCEF table with at any one time.

Acknowledged.  It'd take a LOT of load-sharing to drive 72MB of
single-path data to exceed 128MB (minus an appropriate comfort margin),
but it could certainly be done.

>  From our point of view, 128M is never enough.

So noted.  I'd think that one would have long before exceeded the DRAM
capabilities of RSP4/8 and have moved up to RSP16, and therefore should
have a well-practiced excuse on why they're running VIP2s (or
underpopulated VIP4s/VIP6s) in an RSP16 chassis.

pt