[c-nsp] dcef disabled on VIP 2-40 Slot !!!

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed May 10 14:43:15 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 07:39:50PM +0100, David Freedman wrote:
> > The VIP4 is definitely a better card, but 128M VIP DRAM is plenty fine
> > for full tables for a while:
>
> This is entriely dependant on :
>
> a) how many full tables you see

No.  Multiple paths will increment the BGP memory usage, but those
tables are not put into the VIP memory.

> b) how many CEF entries for internet addresses you are going to populate
> the dCEF table with at any one time.

Well, that's "number of routes" - but unless you have a high number of
internal routes, the CEF tables for "all Internet routes" (200.000)
are still more in the 64 Mb range.  As displayed by Pete Templin.

>  From our point of view, 128M is never enough.

How many routes do you have?  How much memory is your VIP *actually* using?

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de