[c-nsp] 3550 MPLS

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri May 12 17:37:24 EDT 2006

> > The 3550 supports "VRF-Lite" which means you can have separate routing
> > tables, but *not* actual MPLS labels. One routing table is associated
> > with two or more VLAN interfaces.
> >

> Does anyone out there do VRF lite with BGP and vlans?  Can the 3550 talk
> to a PE router with bgp/vpnv4 (which it will do) but associate a VRF with a
> particular vlan?  Or am I going insane?

There are plenty of implementations of this - Cisco offers it on lots
of routers (in addition to the 3550). Basically, anything which lets
you separate customer traffic can be used, e.g. Frame Relay DLCIs. You
use BGP with address-family ipv4 (not vpnv4). See

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00805a70ee.html#wp1206101

for the 3550 documentation.

Oh, there are other vendors that offer such features too - Juniper
"virtual router" springs to mind.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no