[c-nsp] 7200 NPE-200 with 12.4?

Tristan Gulyas zardoz at hotblack.net
Sat May 13 23:57:45 EDT 2006

I know this one has come up a few times before but has anybody here been
running 12.4 or 12.4T releases on an NPE-200?

The killer seems to be the maximum RAM that the NPE can handle (128).  I
have such an NPE with 128MB and am finding that I run out of RAM if I want
to use any features that are useful to me (eg, NAT, ATM LANE, static routing
and IPv6 on an ik9s 12.4(3) image will chew all available memory).

I'm very rusty with memory management on Cisco boxes.

I'm not running BGP or dealing with large routing tables - this stuff is
just for the lab (and not production).

Is what I am trying to do possible, or should I hunt for a secondhand 225
with 256MB? :)

thanks,
Tristan