[c-nsp] Snmp on 7206

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon May 15 12:00:57 EDT 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Rivo Tahina RAZAFINDRATSIFA wrote:

> I'm using an 7206 with an HSSI interface, I'd like to be noticed when
> traffic on this interface is less than a given value (eg 10Mbps), what mib
> can be used?

There isn't a specific MIB to use for exactly this.  Perhaps an RMON2
probe could be set up to set somthing like this?

Otherwise, you'd need to do something like this:
1) poll if[In|Out]Octets for that interface at some point in time
2) repeat the poll at some point in the future (a 5 minute interval is
pretty standard) and compare the results with the values from the first
poll results to get an average of the traffic rate over the interval.
3) tell your NMS to send you an alert

Many NMS packages have capabilities like this built in - normally used for
sending an alert when traffic exceeds a given threshold.  Depending on
what tools you use to manage your network today, getting it to work when
traffic drops below a certain threshold may or may not be a trivial
matter.

jms