[c-nsp] PAgP w/Intel PRO issue

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Mon May 15 11:58:48 EDT 2006

Trying to bring up PAgP between a Cat2950 and a Dell 1850, Intel PRO NICs, Windows 2003 server.  I suspect this may be a "Window-ish" or "Intel-ish" problem, but would prefer the wisdom of this forum as opposed to theirs :-)

I created the NIC "team" on the server using the PROset utility as an "802.3ad Dynamic Link Aggregation" pair.

The 2950 is setup for PAgP between ports f0/7-8:

> interface Port-channel1
>  description Raven PAgP channel
>  switchport access vlan 33
>  switchport mode access
>  no ip address

> interface FastEthernet0/7
>  switchport access vlan 33
>  no ip address
>  channel-group 1 mode desirable
>  channel-protocol pagp
>  spanning-tree portfast

> interface FastEthernet0/8
>  switchport access vlan 33
>  no ip address
>  channel-group 1 mode desirable
>  channel-protocol pagp
>  spanning-tree portfast

It doesn't appear to be aggregating.  The Windows side shows the interfaces up, but the 2nd NIC as "standby" (?).

The 2950 never shows the channel up.

> HNT-Srv-Rack4#sho int p1
> Port-channel1 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)
>   Hardware is EtherChannel, address is 0000.0000.0000 (bia 0000.0000.0000)
>   MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
>      reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
>   Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
>   Auto-duplex, Auto-speed
>   input flow-control is off, output flow-control is off
>   ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
>   Last input never, output never, output hang never
>   Last clearing of "show interface" counters never
>   Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
>   Queueing strategy: fifo
>   Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
>   5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
>   5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
>      0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
>      Received 0 broadcasts (0 multicast)
>      0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
>      0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
>      0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input
>      0 input packets with dribble condition detected
>      0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
>      0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets
>      0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
>      0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output
>      0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

And the etherchannel characteristics:

> HNT-Srv-Rack4#sho int ether
> ----
> FastEthernet0/7:
> Port state    = Up Sngl-port-Bndl Mstr Not-in-Bndl
> Channel group = 1           Mode = Desirable-Sl     Gcchange = 0
> Port-channel  = null        GC   = 0x00010001          Pseudo port-channel = Po1
> Port index    = 0           Load = 0x00        Protocol =   PAgP
>
> Flags:  S - Device is sending Slow hello.  C - Device is in Consistent state.
>         A - Device is in Auto mode.        P - Device learns on physical port.
>         d - PAgP is down.
> Timers: H - Hello timer is running.        Q - Quit timer is running.
>         S - Switching timer is running.    I - Interface timer is running.
>
> Local information:
>                                 Hello    Partner  PAgP     Learning  Group
> Port      Flags State   Timers  Interval Count   Priority   Method  Ifindex
> Fa0/7           U4/S4   H       30s      0        128        Any      7
>
> Age of the port in the current state: 00d:00h:27m:36s
>
> ----
> FastEthernet0/8:
> Port state    = Up Sngl-port-Bndl Mstr Not-in-Bndl
> Channel group = 1           Mode = Desirable-Sl     Gcchange = 0
> Port-channel  = null        GC   = 0x00010001          Pseudo port-channel = Po1
> Port index    = 0           Load = 0x00        Protocol =   PAgP
>
> Flags:  S - Device is sending Slow hello.  C - Device is in Consistent state.
>         A - Device is in Auto mode.        P - Device learns on physical port.
>         d - PAgP is down.
> Timers: H - Hello timer is running.        Q - Quit timer is running.
>         S - Switching timer is running.    I - Interface timer is running.
>
> Local information:
>                                 Hello    Partner  PAgP     Learning  Group
> Port      Flags State   Timers  Interval Count   Priority   Method  Ifindex
> Fa0/8           U4/S4   H       30s      0        128        Any      8
>
> Age of the port in the current state: 00d:00h:24m:09s
>
> ----
> Port-channel1:
> Age of the Port-channel   = 00d:00h:33m:04s
> Logical slot/port   = 1/0          Number of ports = 0
> GC                  = 0x00000000      HotStandBy port = null
> Port state          = Port-channel Ag-Not-Inuse
> Protocol            =   PAgP

Help?

Jeff