[c-nsp] SNMP/bit-bucket question

Sargon cisco at aitg.net
Wed May 17 13:47:03 EDT 2006

We have a GRE tunnel connecting a 6509 to a 7513 via a PIX 525. The
tunnel source is the IP addressing for the VLAN which carries all our
Internet traffic, and the destination is the GigE in the 7513. The
tunnel is used to carry all our multicast and BGP traffic through the
PIX.

We are attempting to graph (via MRTG) the traffic levels of the
tunnel. What we see, however, looks identical to the traffic graph
for that VLAN (100Mbps or so). If I specifically graph non-unicast
packets, the graph drops to zero.

Is there an order in which bit buckets are parsed for SNMP values? It
certainly appears that VLAN-tagged packets are parsed before anything
else, which means I probably will never get the values from the 6509.
I get them from the 7513 (no VLANs in that router).

All ideas/pointers are appreciated.