[c-nsp] OSPF, load balancing and uneven links - design Q

Brett Looney brett at looney.id.au
Sun May 21 19:04:22 EDT 2006

At 23:36 21/05/2006, you wrote:
>3. [OT] As we keep adjusting and re-adjusting the QoS (we are in the
>beginning
>of a process that needs a lot of tweaking), I am pulling the queues values
>and bandwidth, into MRTG. The problem is that every time we make a change,
>the OID changes, and we need to redo the configs - is there a more generic
>MIB/OIDs we could use?!?

I've seen this as well - you'll also find that when you reboot the
router the OIDs will revert back to some other number so you'll have
to redo MRTG again. I haven't found any other static OIDs to use.

What I think is happening is that the QoS config gets allocated an
OID every time you change it - pretty much the next available OID
that hasn't been used. But on a reboot, the QoS OID table is clean so
the first "n" OIDs are allocated. If your QoS config is static (which
it sounds like it isn't for you) then a reboot will give you the
permanent numbers.

Hope this makes sense...

B.