[c-nsp] BGP Multipath load balancing

gscisco@xs4all.nl Cisco gscisco at gmail.com
Tue May 23 14:30:52 EDT 2006

Well there is a couple of things that you can do but it depends of the
reason of your current setup.
- Terminate multiple access circuits on one router. You can then have one
BGP peering session and it will load balance nicely. Both egress in and
ingress. You would need to peer to 1 upstream provider then.

-Then again you might want multiple (physical) routers to connect to your
upstream in different pop's for resilliency. That way you can do a traffic
analysis and try to find a split even point (you will of course need to
review that to make sure it will continue to work) and then prefer certain
routes from others in BGP (local pref and such). And specify MED's/AS
prepends for incoming traffic.

- a nicer solution keeping you equipped with multiple physical routers for
redundancy would be to run GLBP between the routers. That would load balance
your egress traffic automatically.

I guess it depends on what you want to establish ... and the reason for the
setup as you have it.

Regards,

Vincent