[c-nsp] cisco adsl2+

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Wed May 24 09:36:32 EDT 2006

On 25/05/2006 1:28 a.m., Robert Boyle wrote:
> At 04:35 AM 5/24/2006, you wrote:
>> 2006/5/24, Chris Cappuccio <chris at nmedia.net>:
>>> is there truth to the rumors that cisco has adsl2+ capability in some new
>>> central office product? vdsl2?
>> ADSL2+, yes, the new 876 and 877, I believe.  They're CPE's, though.
>> Central office
>
> They really need to release a WIC-1ADSL2 or a WIC-1ADSLV2. The
> current WIC-1ADSL product is great, but it is so bad a syncing to
> many lines where more modern chipsets in cheap CPE (Netopia) have no
> problem syncing and staying in sync. This leads to the need for a
> WIC-1ENET and an external ADSL bridge to compensate for lousy sync on
> the WIC-1ADSL cards. If anyone knows of Cisco's plans for a new
> release of the card, any news or an update would be great. Thanks.
>
> -Robert

There is an update - it's called the HWIC-1ADSL and has been out for about 3
months now.  I have one and was one of the first to get one, and my experience
is that it's much better than the older WIC-1ADSL cards.  As we don't have ADSL2
in NZ yet I'm only able to use it with ADSL 1 speeds, but I'm getting 20% higher
connect speeds to the remote DSLAM with the newer cards than I can with the
older cards with otherwise identical chassis, software and configs.

Of course it's only going to be for the x800 series, which suggests there
probably won't be another of the first generation cards.  The new cards require
12.4(4)T or greater too.......

Reuben