[c-nsp] Using SET commands in policy maps (LLQ)

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Wed May 24 11:25:35 EDT 2006

I have a policy map configured for LLQ and it has a "set" statement in
each class. However, this does not appear to be working.

Match: access-group 140
       1681300 packets, 1137370160 bytes
       30 second rate 0 bps
     Queueing
       Output Queue: Conversation 265
       Bandwidth 400 (kbps) Max Threshold 64 (packets)
       (pkts matched/bytes matched) 115626/79284247
       (depth/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0
     QoS Set
       precedence 4
         Packets marked 0

As you can see, it is configured to mark packets with an IP precedence
of four. However, none are being marked. This never really occurred to
me before, but do "set" statements within policy maps only apply when
the QoS mechanism is active during congestion?

I guess that would make some sense. I just assumed that it worked like
a route map. If I want these packets to always be marked as IP
precedence four even when the interface isn't congested, do I need to
use a route map instead?

Thanks,
John