[c-nsp] XENPAK 10GB-LW (WAN PHY)

Emanuel Popa emanuel.popa at gmail.com
Fri May 26 03:02:09 EDT 2006

Hi,

Is there anybody using 10GE WAN PHY with WS-X6704-10GE and
XENPAK-10GB-LR in a Cisco 7600 platform?

We are using 2 pieces to connect 2 routers via a carrier DWDM network.
The trouble is that the interface is flapping very often and the
STM-64 line test is error free. There is no support on the Ethernet
interface for SDH errors like LOS, LOF, AIS, RDI etc. We can't figure
out what the problem might be.

Besides the problems above, there are two more issues:

1. the thresholds for miliamperes - current for this XENPAK are not
configured properly in this IOS and they can not be configured via
CLI:

                            High Alarm  High Warn  Low Warn   Low Alarm
         Current            Threshold   Threshold  Threshold  Threshold
Port     (milliamperes)     (mA)        (mA)       (mA)       (mA)
-------  -----------------  ----------  ---------  ---------  ---------
Te11/4    28.7         ++      2.5         2.5         2.5        2.5

2. the average CPU load jumps from 10% to 25% when my 4Gbps of traffic
flows through the 10GE line; usualy it flows through NxSTM-16 lines
over OSM-2OC48/1DPT-SS linecards. cpu load graph is attached (cpu.png)

IOS used:
br01.frankfurt#sh ver | i IOS
IOS (tm) s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-ADVIPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version
12.2(18)SXF, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,
Emanuel Popa