[c-nsp] 6500s/XFPs (Was XENPAK 10GB-LW (WAN PHY))

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue May 30 19:46:17 EDT 2006

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 11:19:02PM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> EW. X2 is Xenpak in another form factor and most likely has the same
> pricepoint.
>
> I also haven't seen anyone but Cisco 4500 BU use X2 so that doesn't bode
> well for the price to go down either.

Well, a bunch of folks I know are using the HP 6410cl-6xg 6-port X2
switches and swear by them, but the future of 10GE networking they
certainly aren't. The only other place they make sense is stuffing them
into legacy or stackable systems which can't support XFP. Cisco sells the
X2 modules it does have at the exact same price as XENPAK at least.

The real problem is I'm not aware of anyone even making ZR/ZRD/LW/etc in
X2 form, let alone anyone selling them to end users. This means there is
no way serious networking using X2 could be contemplated in anything under
1 year. Even if they started developing and selling all of the missing
optics, by the time they roll out XFPs are going to be signifiantly
cheaper and more dense. In the WAN PHY department scaling XENPAK/X2 is
pretty much hopeless, there is only so much you can do to make them price
efficient compared to XFPs. Personally I think you'd have to be crazy to
invest in X2 infrastructure at this point.

BTW today the list price difference between LR and LW xenpaks is $10k ($2k
vs $12k respectively). Compare this to being able to use the same XFP to
support both, at around the $2k mark (or less), where the cost of the
framer is theoretically shifted from the pluggable to the host. Of course,
essentially every high end (not counting some of the lower end stackables
which happen to have an XFP port) 10GE XFP based platform today supports
LAN/WAN PHY already, either by default or for a difference per card that
is in the $1k/ea or less range.