[c-nsp] HSRP issues on Cisco3550

Kanagaraj Krishna kanagaraj at aims.com.my
Mon Nov 6 12:50:06 EST 2006

Hi,
   The same routing of the customer subnet is configured on both the switch
(OSPF). Usually in normal circumstances where HSRP is configured on the
physical interface, the standby interface will be down (this OSPF route will
become inactive). In our scenario, we are using vlan interface on both switch.
When i run "sh standby", it can be seen that one of the vlan is in standby
mode but because the physical interface and vlan is up, the route is still
active (redundant path). For temporary measures, I've set higher ospf cost on
the standby vlan interface. Is this the right way?

Regards,
Kana

> Kanagaraj Krishna wrote:
> > Hi,
> >     I have an issue with our HSRP setup between 2 Cisco Catalyst 3550
> (trunk between them). The IP addresses are configured on the customers vlan
> interface in the switches. A customer will have 2 different connection to
> each switch (one active and the other standby). Whenever we try to reach the
> customer subnet using traceroute from location A, its ok if the trace got
> through the active switch. The issue is that, when from location B if the
> trace takes the standby switch it does not complete " * ". Although a ping
> from location B is successful. Any idea whats happening?
> >
> > Note: Both the switches advertise the customer subnet using OSPF. By right
> only the routes from switch with the active ports is supposes to be seen. But
> in this case because the ip addresses are configured on the VLAN and its up
> in the standby switch as well, some packets reaches the switch and then goes
> to the active switch through the trunk port.
> >

> Perhaps a uRPF check is dropping the traffic? Have you enabled "ip
> verify unicast reverse-path"?

Kanagaraj Krishna
Senior Network Engineer
Network Engineering
Applied Information Management Services Sdn. Bhd.
(AIMS Sdn. Bhd.)
Ground Floor, Menara Aik Hua,
Changkat Raja Chulan,
50200 Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia.