[c-nsp] 6500 Sup2 memory needs

Church, Chuck cchurch at multimax.com
Tue Nov 7 10:59:21 EST 2006

Anyone,

	We've got a need to migrate 300 or so 6500s with Sup2/MSFC2 to
native mode (12.2SX).  All the sups are running with 128 mb ram, while
the MSFCs are 512mb.  I understand the minimum for 12.2SX is 256 mb on
each.  I'm trying to determine if 256 will be enough on the sups, or if
we should consider 512.  Devices are used for LAN->WAN connection, using
gig Ethernet interfaces, and various OSMs and FlexWANs.  (Haven't put
any SPA/SIPs in yet).  Nothing fancy on them, BGP carrying several
hundred routes, no MPLS, some ACLs, no service modules of any type.  I
realize guessing memory needs for the future is pretty tough.  But I
guess a few more specific questions would be:

Will 12.2SX ever require more than 256 on the sup2?
Is any newer version being planned for the Sup2, like 12.2SR?

Thanks,

Chuck Church
Network Engineer
CCIE #8776, MCNE, MCSE