[c-nsp] 6500 troubles. What caused these packets to be punted? Is that even what went wrong?

Jim Devane jim at powerpulse.cc
Wed Nov 8 17:13:13 EST 2006

Hello,

    I have a 6509, SUP 2A, PFC2, MSFC2, running 12.1.22 and a few 6408A and
6348 modules.

I turned up a customer on a gig port on a 6408.
The only config on the port was a description and ip addr.
Running BGP to the customer.
I am sending a default route and they are advertising 2 routes to me.

They are sending small UDP packets (60 bytes) at roughly 10K -30 K pps for
about 8-20 Mbps.
The moment they began sending traffic the CPU jumped from 11% to 20% and the
chassis as a whole began to experience packet loss.

This traffic level, and even the CPU level seems like it should have not
caused this dramatic of a problem. When the packets were stopped form this
customer all fell neatly back into place.

Our Cisco cpu normally handles well over this number of pps and hits' a
daily high of about 25% for CPU.

Any suggestions (yes, besides UG the code and getting a 720) on why this
happened? I am not sure why the packets would be punted. I am assuming this
is why the CPU rose so much. There is no ACL, no QoS that would caused the
packets to be processed switched as far as I am aware.

Would very much appreciate any steers to resources, suggestions, silver
bullet solutions.

TIA,
jim