[c-nsp] 7600 as a switch

vince anton mvanton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 05:36:33 EST 2006

Hi,

I am looking at getting 7600 with SUP720 to do various (simple) routing
functions. I am also looking at L2 aggregation of GE links - ie standard L2
switch.

Being an SP environment, the 7600 seems to be more suitable than the 6500,
although I know this is a hot topic and not everyone may agree.

The Question: Since the 7600 is positioned as an 'SP router', and today
supports the 67xx ethernet switch modules, thats an ideal box today, But
what is the roadmap for the 7600 in terms of switch modules ?     Is it
planned for the 7600 to keep support for the current, and future gig
ethernet switching modules to reamain inline with the switch modules for
6500, or will it move away from this to become only 'a router' and not
support L2 switch modules at all, in which case I should look at alternative
L2 aggregation switch boxes ?

Thanks,

anton