[c-nsp] 7600 as a switch

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Nov 13 08:58:32 EST 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 07:58:40AM -0500, Scott McGrath wrote:
> 7600 IS a switch -  currently there is no difference between a 65xx and
> a 76xx - Cisco has indicated the the code paths will fork at some point
> but right now a  65xx will run any 76xx image and vice versa.

	The difference is which cisco business-unit gets the revenue for
your purchase.

	There is also the "SRA" code which is the 7600 BU's code
as compared to the SX* code which is the 6500 BU code.  We're sticking
with the 65xx code for now as it seems to provide the best path for
us currently.

	But don't forget what Scott says above, it's a switch with
a router strapped on.  Expect wonky things to happen and the lack
of visibility into a number of things you'd not expect on a real "router".

	- jared