[c-nsp] PoP Scenario

Mark Tohill Mark at u.tv
Mon Nov 13 11:51:16 EST 2006

Hell,

I'm reposting this so forgive me.

H1----SW1----6500-01----7200-01----ISP1-Router1
 \    /\     /      \   / |
  \  /  \   /        \ /  |
   \/HSRP\ /          X   |
   /\     \          / \  |
  /  \   / \        /   \ |
 /    \ /   \      /     \|
H2----SW2----6500-02----7200-02----ISP1-Router2

H- Host
SW- L2 Access switch

The above is for an ISP PoP Design. The 6500's have single
Sup720/PFC3/MFSC3 and Gigabit Line Cards.

Inititially, the 6500's are configured with a single pure L3 interface
onto a legacy switched network. There is a backup L2 link to the 2nd
6500 with HSRP between these 2 L3 interfaces. Basically the 6500's are
just routing at the moment.
>From the aggregation 6500's to edge 7200's, there are L3 /30's and OSPF.

I hope to implement L2 trunking between the 6500's and trunk to access
switches with HSRP etc...I also hope to seperate DSL/Dial traffic from
switched L2 network and then fragment remaining user groups/application
groups further.

Regarding reconfiguring links to DSL/Dialup boxes, it seems there are a
number of options:

1. VLAN them across the 6500's by connecting their 10/100/1000 ports to
access
ports on the LC's. Connect backup interfaces to a different VLAN and
repeat.
I think this means having to implement L2 between 6500's now and
trunking to access switches. (??)

2. Create 2 x L3 /30's to each 6500 from each NAS/aggregation router and
let OSPF/static
routing take care of resiliency.

If this option were to be taken, what would happen if there were a
single management subnet covering switches, routers etc. Would I be able
to get to majority of management /32's over the SVI covering 'legacy'
LAN and remainder over L3 links to dial/DSL boxes?

Apologies again for re-post but I'm having difficulty finding
views/advice on ISP-specific questions from Enterprise/Data Centre SRND
design docs etc. on CCO.

Thanks,
Mark