[c-nsp] multimode Re: GLC-SX-MM and 50µm mm fiber

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Nov 13 15:18:08 EST 2006

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 08:56:55PM +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> I realise that like 50% of cisco sales of optics is multimode, I just
> can't figure out why people do it for new cable installations. The price
> difference isn't that big, especially when you consider the cost of ODFs
> over a long time, where SM cabling should have a much longer lifespan?

(Lots) cheaper optics?

Dunno about current PA/SPAs, but I remember fairly well that the price
difference between a PA-A3-OC3MM and a PA-A3-OC3SMI was well over
5000 EUR when we got the first couple of them, and that will buy you
some amount of single mode fiber installation later on...

Of course we had to get the single mode PA, because all the carriers
only did single mode... (which makes sense, at least from a spare part
handling view).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de