[c-nsp] dueling OSPF routes

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Tue Nov 14 00:47:31 EST 2006

I have a 7500-series router running IOS 12.something.S with two
OSPF processes, 1 and 2.  I am receiving the same route from both
processes.  I want to always prefer the route from OSPF 2 if it
exists.

The problem is that IOS seems to treat both routes equally.  If
one is already in the routing table, the other is ignored.  If I
withdraw the unwanted route from OSPF 1, the preferred route in
OSPF 2 is used.  If I then re-announce the unwanted route in OSPF
1, it is ignored, until the route in OSPF 2 is withdrawn, and so on.

A database dump from the router is below.  I recall reading in Ciso-land
that when presented with the same route from two OSPF processes, the
router would choose based on the metrics of the routes - I've tuned
them as desired, but it doesn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
	-- Ed

-------------------------

Router# show ip ospf database external 10.20.30.40

            OSPF Router with ID (10.20.6.6) (Process ID 2)

                Type-5 AS External Link States

  Routing Bit Set on this LSA
  LS age: 1569
  LS Type: AS External Link
  Link State ID: 10.20.30.40 (External Network Number )
  Advertising Router: 10.20.5.50
  LS Seq Number: 80000004
  Checksum: 0x6B53
  Length: 36
  Network Mask: /28
        Metric Type: 1 (Comparable directly to link state metric)
        TOS: 0
        Metric: 10
        Forward Address: 0.0.0.0
        External Route Tag: 0

            OSPF Router with ID (10.20.1.9) (Process ID 1)

                Type-5 AS External Link States

  Routing Bit Set on this LSA
  LS age: 333
  LS Type: AS External Link
  Link State ID: 10.20.30.40 (External Network Number )
  Advertising Router: 10.20.6.2
  LS Seq Number: 80000004
  Checksum: 0xF7ED
  Length: 36
  Network Mask: /28
        Metric Type: 1 (Comparable directly to link state metric)
        TOS: 0
        Metric: 20
        Forward Address: 0.0.0.0
        External Route Tag: 0