[c-nsp] HSRp and OSPF metrics

Ray Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Tue Nov 14 15:46:37 EST 2006

> >> No.  That's redistributing and results in OSPF externals.  I'm
> >> talking about using network statements to include the networks for
> >> interfaces that match the network/mask statements.
> >
> > If you don't have any OSPF peers on that network, why would
> you want
> > to do that?
> >
> > Bearing in mind that changes in externs do not cause an SPF
> recompute
> > because they are always at the leaves of the tree.
>
> Because if you source them, they can be included as stubs in
> the Router LSA. Redistributing results in multiple Type 4
> (Summary ASBR) and Type 5
> (External) LSAs.  Further, SPF is cheap in terms of CPU
> cycles.  LSA generation and flooding is expensive and is a
> network wide issue for all routers.
>
> I'd recommend reading "Optimal Routing Design" by Russ White,
> Don Slice, and Alvaro Retana.  http://safari.ciscopress.com/1587051877

 Also there are a number of documents at http://www.cisco.com/go/srnd that
provide good background on how to deal with this layer2/3 segmentation and
synchronization and timing.

Suggested document names include:
Campus Network Multilayer Architecture and Design Guidelines
High Availability Campus Network Design-Routed Access Layer using EIGRP or
OSPF

--
Scanned for viruses and dangerous content at
http://www.oneunified.net and is believed to be clean.