[c-nsp] IEEE 802.1ad vs Cisco's Q-in-Q

Fetzer, Bryan BFetzer at bresnan.com
Tue Nov 14 16:55:11 EST 2006

Tassos,

At this point we've went through this exercise. We have numerous Extreme
networks switches. Extreme follows the standard, while Cisco is
apparently choosing not to. Do a quick search while logged in at
www.cisco.com for the following: 0x88a8 or 88a8 and you will get exactly
zero results for either. I find this a bit disturbing when this is in
fact THE standard for vman/qinq/svlan/whatever xyz vendor chooses to
call it. Juniper among other companies have also standardized on 0x88a8.
It would seem to me that if Cisco wants to be a true leader in metro
Ethernet, they would support the standard that has been around for some
time now.

We do have a large install base of Cisco, Juniper and Extreme. We have
configured all of our Extreme switches and Juniper routers with vman
ethertype 0x8100 simply because we have too much Cisco gear around that
apparently will never support the newer standard.

If anyone can tell me that I'm wrong, I would love to see the
information where Cisco either does or is planning on supporting 0x88a8.

Ninja edit: I finally found one " Cisco document " , that appears to be
a PPT from Networkers, that references 88a8

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:lD-ZYAawAbAJ:https://www.ciscoeventr
eg.com/ciscoexpo2005/switzerland/presentations/VJ-Rotary/6_IP_NGN_Metro_
Ethernet_Carrier_Services.ppt+0x88a8+802.1ad&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=11

Thanks,

Bryan F