[c-nsp] IEEE 802.1ad vs Cisco's Q-in-Q

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Tue Nov 14 17:17:27 EST 2006

Here is another strange thing:

In CatOS:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801dd67e.html#wp999435

"When a tunnel port receives tagged customer traffic from an 802.1Q trunk port, it does not strip
the received 802.1Q tag from the frame header; instead, the tunnel port leaves the 802.1Q tag
intact, adds a 1-byte EtherType field (0x8100) and a 1-byte length field, and puts the received
customer traffic into the VLAN to which the tunnel port is assigned. This EtherType 0x8100 traffic,
with the received 802.1Q tag intact, is called tunnel traffic."

In IOS:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800da6fc.html#wp1013415

"When a tunnel port receives tagged customer traffic from an 802.1Q trunk port, it does not strip
the received 802.1Q tag from the frame header; instead, the tunnel port leaves the 802.1Q tag
intact, adds a 2-byte Ethertype field (0x8100) followed by a 2-byte field containing the priority
(CoS) and the VLAN. This Ethertype 0x8100 traffic, with the received 802.1Q tag intact, is called
tunnel traffic."

Am i missing something here (8100 hex = 1 byte?); Are these 2 totally different implementations?

Tassos