[c-nsp] OSPF Equal Costs Routes Question

christopher.a.kane at jpmchase.com christopher.a.kane at jpmchase.com
Wed Nov 15 14:55:51 EST 2006

>Hi there...
>
>What is the maximum number of OSPF equal cost routes that are supported
>in IOS?  I'm thinking of using a Cisco 3640 to connect multiple low
>speed ethernet links from site to site and would like to have 4 ethernet
>links coming in via a 4 port 10 meg card (NM-4E) .. this is for
>redundancy and "bonding for performance".... I don't believe 4 of them
>is a problem but how many can you go up to?
>
>The other end of the link is a 6509 running IOS...
>
>Thanks,
>
>Paul Stewart

It depends on IOS level. Newer versions (as of 12.3(2)T) allow you to go
up to 16. The limit used to be 6. This is a protocol independent feature.
Here's the Command Reference link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cr/hirp_r/rte_pih.htm#wp1124352

If you're simply looking for redundancy and multiple paths, then you'll be
fine. If you are looking for load sharing then there are other things to
consider in addition.

-chris

under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Although this transmission and
any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,