[c-nsp] Testing bandwidth

Will Hargrave will at harg.net
Thu Nov 16 17:10:21 EST 2006

Ed Butler wrote:
> I would say FTP is going to be pretty unreliable as a test method on
> high throughput links, because of the TCP receive window. It will be
> fine for testing E1s etc though :)
>
> See:
> http://www.babinszki.com/Networking/Max-Ethernet-and-TCP-Throughput.html

That document looks pretty old and I don't think really reflects
enhancements like RFC1323 window scaling, SACK etc, all of which ship in
modern OSs.

Lots of e-science bulk transfer testing is done using ftp or iperf...

Not sure what problems the OP has with iperf, whether he's finding it
buggy or simply isn't producing the wanted results ;-)

http://www.caida.org/tools/taxonomy/performance.xml has a useful list of
tools.

Will