[c-nsp] bandwidth management

Benjie Ko gerwalk1 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 23:28:37 EST 2006

Hello List,

I would like to ask for feedback on the following problem:

--ISP---RTRA----
                            |---RTRC---Customer Vlans
--IX--RTRB-------

All Routers are 7206VXR. ISPA is via STM-1 ATM and IX is via FE. Connectivity between RTRA,RTRB and RTRC  is GE within the same LAN.
Customer to RTRC is via dot1q Vlan on a GE interface. We have been doing rate limit on the vlan interfaces on RTRC to set the maximum bandwidth on customer VLANS (1Mbs,5Mbs,etc).
Traffic going in/out of the Net can go in/out of ISPA and IX depending on source/destination. We are doing BGP with both ISP and IX with complete routes from each.
Question, is there a way to limit bandwidth for a particular customer VLAN traversing the ISP link e.g., we only allow 5Mbs (in/out) on the ISP link and 10Mbs (in/out) on the IX link for a 10Mbs customer.
I have been reading diffserv and was thinking if this is the way to go.
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121t/121t5/dtdfsv.htm
Example on the page allows bandwidth management for outbound traffic. Is it possible with inbound traffic?
Would like to get your suggestions and if possible sample configuration.
Thanks.