[c-nsp] memory usage after upgrading from 12.0T to 12.2S

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Fri Nov 17 09:32:42 EST 2006

After upgrading a 7600 NPE-300 from 12.0T to 12.2(25)S11 I noticed that
it can barely fit one full view (there are ~16 MB free) while before the
upgrade it carried two full views and a ~20000 other routers from peers.

What I do not understand is why a NPE-225 running 12.2(25)S1 is happily
taking two full views and many peers, and these routers have the same
quantity of installed RAM.
All 12.2S versions are using the service provider feature set, while
the old 12.0T is IP.

What causes this huge increase in memory usage? Is it platform-specific?
Has the RAM usage increased so much from 1 to 11?
If there is no workaround, can somebody recommend an earlier release of
12.2S which will let me have two full views on a NPE-300?
Pruning the routes received is not an option.

--
ciao,
Marco