[c-nsp] High CPU util on Cat4506

Jee Kay jeekay at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 11:26:14 EST 2006

On 20/11/06, Jee Kay <jeekay at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got (very) high CPU util on one of my Cat4506s (SupIV running
> 12.2(20)EW1). I have a strong suspicion that it is being caused by the
> switch doing a bit of multicast forwarding (~20-30Mb/s).

This appears to be because some of the high-rate sources are stuck in
'Registering', which I assume means every packet gets punted to the
CPU to get encapsulated and shunted off to the RP.

The RP is an anycase RP consisting of a pair of Juniper M7is.... Not
all sources in a particular group are affected, and not all sources
from a particular interface are effected.

Anyone have any good ways of tracking down what looks like a PIM
Register problem?

Thanks,
Ras